What is borderline personality disorder?
Next Step Behavioral Houston uses only evidence-based practices and therapies to treat adults diagnosed with BPD. A serious and complex personality disorder seen primarily in adults between 18 and 35 years old, borderline personality disorder is characterized by mood instability, impulsivity, fears of being alone or abandoned and poor self-image.
- Unstable relationships
- Holding a distorted self-image that constantly influences their moods, decisions and priorities
- Indulging in impulsive actions (unsafe sex with multiple partners, spending money they don’t have, driving recklessly and using substances)
- Feeling chronically bored, irritable, restless and empty
- Thinking of suicide or attempting suicide when under stress
- Experiencing intense anger, usually followed by expressions of guilt and shame