What is borderline personality disorder?
Next Step Behavioral Houston uses only evidence-based practices and therapies to treat adults diagnosed with BPD. A serious and complex personality disorder seen primarily in adults between 18 and 35 years old, borderline personality disorder is characterized by mood instability, impulsivity, fears of being alone or abandoned and poor self-image.
People with BPD may also present the following behaviors:
- Unstable relationships
- Holding a distorted self-image that constantly influences their moods, decisions and priorities
- Indulging in impulsive actions (unsafe sex with multiple partners, spending money they don’t have, driving recklessly and using substances)
- Feeling chronically bored, irritable, restless and empty
- Thinking of suicide or attempting suicide when under stress
- Experiencing intense anger, usually followed by expressions of guilt and shame
For people with borderline personality disorder, everyday events can trigger significant mood swings and emotional reactions. For example, they may become distressed when plans are changed without warning or someone they are close to leaves on a short vacation.
All clients entering into our treatment program with a diagnosis of borderline personality will be required to participate in our Dialectical Behavioral Therapy program.